Discord is one of the best chatting tools that is mostly used by the gaming community. This app lets the users communicate over any network while playing the games. Now regular users are also using it for education or business purposes. Here you can make servers, channels, groups to share your thoughts using a topic to reach more audience. This app lets allow you to share audio, videos, images, internet links, music, and much more. It is also easy as we doing on other social media platforms.
So, In this article, we will see how to update the Discord app on various operating systems. Discord rapidly gives updates to its users for uninterrupted entertainment. Every update comes up with new features, improvements with media files, improved UI, fixes a lot of bugs, and much more. Discord’s development team works perfectly to improve the quality of the app. Also, it is safer and protected to keep your apps up to date and take action against malicious software.
What is Discord?
Discord is the best communication program similar to other social media where you can talk with your friends, family, and unknown people interested in the same topic. Discord app is mainly used by the gamers community who streams games or communicate with the other streamers like battleground games. But it is also getting admired for general use and its features.
How to update Discord through PC?
Discord app is available on every dedicated platform. Same it is available for Windows PCs. The only changes come in UI. In this tutorial, we will see how to update the Discord app for Windows OS. Most of the time, the app updates itself automatically, but sometimes it doesn’t update automatically. To fix it, we need to do manual settings. Let’s see what it is.
Update Discord When You Launching the app
When you launch the Discord app, it will start checking for new updates. If there any update will be available for your Discord app, it will start downloading. If your app is not running, follow the below steps.
- Open the Discord app on pc.
- Now let the client check for an update.
- If the client finds any updates, it will start the download and install them.
- Once the app gets installed, you will see the changelog/features list.
Update Discord app while using it
If you are using your Discord app and want to check for an update, there is no need to close and relaunch the app to see it. You can check it while running the app simultaneously.
- While you are on the Discord app, maximize its window.
- Now press the short key from the keyboard, Ctrl+R.
- As soon as you press the keys simultaneously, the app’s UI will get refresh/reload.
- Now discord will detect any available update and start downloading.
- The updates will affect when you restart the app again.
Update Discord from File Explorer
Most of the users don’t know how to update Discord from file explorer. We avoid going on the app’s folder because we don’t know about every file. Let’s see which file will help us to update the Discord app.
- Press the Windows+R key simultaneously and type %localappdata%, and hit enter.
- You will see different apps folders. Scroll down and open the Discord folder.
- If the Discord folder, you will see exe file. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- Now, wait for few seconds to check for updates and download it.
How to Update Discord on Mac?
Whenever we talk about the update for the Discord app, the interface is almost similar for Mac and Windows. Same in Mac, you won’t find the Update button. Same as what we did in the Windows section, we need to reload or relaunch the app.
- You can see the app in the pinned to your Dock.
- Do a two-finger click on the app to expand the hidden menu.
- Now select the Quit option from the menu.
- It will kill all the processes that are currently running.
- Now relaunch the Discord app. It will start checking updates for your system and download it if available.
If you don’t want to close the app and relaunch it, you can update it while running it. You can follow the below steps.
- Open the Discord app and maximize the app window by pressing the keys Command+R.
- This command makes sure to reload your application. Upon reloading, it will start checking the updates and download them.
If your Discord app do not updating follow the below steps
All of the above methods are best for updating the Discord app without any trouble. But we cannot say that everyone can update the app by following the above processes because it also depends on your system’s settings. Sometimes one of you may be stuck in the app update process or find other errors. There may be some possible reasons, and we will try to overcome these issues.
1. Disable Windows defender or Antivirus
If you are a Windows user, you are familiar with the Windows Defender, the built-in anti-malware component of Microsoft. Sometimes it doesn’t allow the users to update the Discord app because it scans the data in real-time. To fix this issue, we need to disable the Windows Defender or, Antivirus installed on our device.
- Launch the Windows Defender by typing Windows Security in the search bar next to the start icon.
- Click on Windows Security and go to Virus and threat protection.
- Scroll down and click on the Manage settings.
- Now turn off real-time protection.
- That’s it! Now try to update the Discord app.
2. Run as Administrator
If the above method fails to work for you, you can launch the app as an admin mode. It gives all the rights to the app to work perfectly for the system. To run the app in administrator, right-click on the Discord icon and select Run as administrator. When you run the app as an administrator, mostly mundane problems like permission seem to vanish.
How to update Discord through the Android platform?
Discord is also available for Android devices. It also doesn’t come with the one-click update option like Windows and Mac. Still, in Android, we don’t need to relaunch or restart the app. The Google Playstore provides this option. Let’s see how to do it.
- Launch the Google Play Store app.
- Now type the Discord in the search bar.
- If the update is available for your app, tap on the Update
- Wait to finish it downloading. Once the app gets updated, tap on the Open
You can try an alternate method to visit the Google Play Store.
- Click on the below link or copy it and paste it into your favorite browser. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.discord
- Now do the above process the same.
One more method you can follow to visit the Discord page directly on the Google Playstore.
- Tap and hold the Discord app icon.
- Now tap on the details or ‘i’
- Scroll down and select the “App details in store.”
- That’s it! It will redirect you to the Discord page, where you can tap on the Update button.
How to update Discord on iPhone?
Well, if you are an iPhone user, you must have known that to update the app, you have to visit the Apple Store. It is the only option to update an app on iPhone. In this section, we can see how to upgrade our Discord app on iPhone.
- Launch the Apple app store from the home screen menu.
- Now type and search Discord.
- From the results, tap on Discord and again tap on the Update
- That’s it! The downloading will start, and once it finishes, iOS would automatically install for you.
If you want to visit the Discord page quickly, you can tap on the following link. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/discord-talk-chat-hang-out/id985746746. Then the next process is the same as above.
How to update Discord on iPad?
Same as iPhone, you need to visit the app store to update the Discord app on your iPad. You can either go directly by tapping on the link or manually by visiting the app store. If an update button appears, tap on it, and you are good to go.
Tap on the link, and this link will redirect you to the apple app store.
You can also visit manually by launching the app store and lookup for Discord. Now tap on the Update button.
Linux users here is How you can update the Discord
Linux is the best OS that gives you all the updates on the go. You can download and install the Discord app from the Snap store. Snap store lets you provide auto-update the apps. Whenever Discord is ready to install, it will ask you to restart the app. Once you log in to your Discord account back, you will get the latest version of Discord.
As of now, Discord doesn’t support Chrome OS officially. But Chromebooks can run Android apps in the Chrome OS. So, you need to download the Discord app from the Google Play Store. If you want to check the update for your Discord app, you can visit the Google Play Store and search for the Discord app. Now find the green update button, and that’s it!
In this tutorial, we learned about the procedure of updating the Discord app on different platforms. Additionally, we take a look at the possible concerns that come while updating the app. Also, we looked for solutions when the Discord app is not updating on our system or device. Unfortunately, Discord doesn’t provide a direct button to update the app. That’s why we have to do it manually and all the possible solutions which I mentioned above helps you to update your discord app to the latest version.